Checklist For Interviewing a Marriage Commissioner
Once you have contacted the Marriage Commissioner via email or phone, request to meet in person at a convenient time and place. It is a good idea to have both you and your Partner present. Remember, during the interview, make sure that the Marriage Commissioner will be the right fit for the type of ceremony you wish to have. Whether it be serious, romantic, fun-filled, energetic or a bit of all of the above, ensure you let the Marriage Commissioner knows exactly what you wish the ceremony to be like; as they should be able to adapt to your wishes.
- Request to view sample ceremonies
- Request to view sample readings and vows
- Ask what types of ceremonies he/she are able to perform
- Ask if they will customize your ceremony to include special readings or poems that you wish to have included
- Ask if they will assist you with writing personal vows if you are choosing to do so
- If you are having a same sex ceremony, make sure that Marriage Commissioner is comfortable performing this
type of ceremony
- Request to view a contract/agreement and ask to keep a copy for your records
- Confirm what their fee is and what it includes
- Travel time (*If your ceremony is taking place outside of your area, there usually is a travel expense associated
with travel time. Make sure that you agree to a travel cost prior to your ceremony-it should also be stated in their
- Administer necessary paperwork to Vital Statistics on your behalf
- Provide you with Civil Marriage Statement certified from Alberta Vital Statistics
- Ask if there is an additional fee if you wish to have Marriage Commissioner at your rehearsal. (normally, this is
not needed but you may feel more comfortable having them there).
- Ask if there is a deposit required and if it is refundable if needed
- Request that they arrive 30 minutes prior to your ceremony to ensure ample time to prepare documents for the
- Ask if Marriage Commissioner is comfortable performing the ceremony at your chosen venue
Remember ~ ask friends, family and/or Wedding Planner for Marriage Commissioner referrals.